Saturday, July 7, 2012

Story Time

So there was this one time that I dropped my iPhone into Payette Lake.

Gather around children- it's story time! 

I went to get my flip flops out of the boat before leaving McCall.  Being the responsible person I am, I put my phone on the dock, just in case I didn't make the jump from the dock to the boat.  I got my flip flops, jumped back on the dock, and grabbed my phone.  Easy as that. 

Or maybe not?

As I was walking away I saw a couple life jackets on the dock and thought I would just toss them into the boat to clean up a little.  Bad idea.  With the first toss my lovely phone slipped out of my hand and sunk deep into the water!

My first thought?  Well you don't want to know my first thought.  My second thought?  I gotta find Bridger.  He'll dive down and get it!

I run inside the cabin to find him.  When people saw my panic they asked what happened, and as I told them I dropped my phone in the lake they said "Are you joking?"  No... but I can see how funny that would be to joke about... not....

Anyway- I find Bridger, and then Dallan, my cousin Cubby, and my uncle Clark come along to take a peek.  There it was- just sitting at the sandy bottom between the boat and the dock.  Just sitting there- soaking in water... second by second.  And then do you want to know what happens?

I'd like to say Bridger jumps in and saves the day.  But he didn't. They all just stood there.  Arguing about who should go get it.  Of course they all had their excuses reasons as to why they shouldn't be the one to dive into the cold water at 9 o'clock at night.  I get it- I really do!  The water was freezing, and they weren't the idiot who threw it in there. But come on! The clock was ticking away and finally I just said "Are we seriously just going to stand here and look at it!  I'll go!" and as I sat on the dock and put my legs in of course all the boys yelled "No no no no! We'll do it!"  So I believed them.

And then we just stood there some more.  And they kept arguing.  And I kept getting more and more angry.  Come on boys! It wasn't like I had any hope of it working anyway- but I was a little peeved that they were still just standing there staring at it!

Then Dallan pushed Cubby in and it was decided.  Cubby would get it!  It was probably only 6 or 7 feet down, and he got it on his first try after we warned him not to stir up the sand around it.  He saved the day- he retrieved my broken, dead phone.

Only it wasn't dead.  My uncle Clark told us to just leave it off and soak it in rice, but Dallan accidently bumped a button and my screen came on.  And the sliding button worked.  And it all worked.  For real?

We still turned it off and put it in rice for several hours.  And there were a few jitters for the next day or two.  But now it works- perfectly.  Can you even believe that?  This phone sat in the water for honestly a good felt like an hour five minutes and it works just great.  As we were listening to music the other day I just couldn't believe that it all still worked.  My pictures, my music, my apps- all still there.  It was a Christmas miracle.....errr maybe a Fourth of July miracle.

Here's a picture- just for proof.  Yes Dallan took a picture of it as they were all so kindly not getting my phone.  Thanks Cub!  And thank you Apple for making such a solid phone.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha. Best story ever! I can't believe it worked! Amazing.

Emily said...

That's awesome that it still worked! I accidentally froze my phone in a snowbank for two days (it flew out of my pocket unnoticed while I was shoveling the driveway), and it still worked, too. It really makes your week/month when that happens!