We just got back from Cancun last night- and while I'm fighting a sinus infection and not feeling all that great, I figure I need to update our blog with pictures from our trip before tomorrow comes. Because tomorrow I start DENTAL HYGIENE SCHOOL! And then there will be plenty more to blog about- so better do it now before I get too far behind!
For a graduation present my parents graciously gave us money to take a trip. We couldn't use it for rent, dental hygiene supplies (they know I would've saved it for that!), food, etc. They really wanted us to get away. So get away we did. We were under a time crunch. I graduated April 23rd and need to start school May 3rd. Bridger bit the bullet and took all his finals early so we were able to get away for the week! We took the red-eye flight out on Monday night- technically Tuesday morning- so we could get in and have at least half the day in Cancun on Tuesday.
Tuesday was hot and sunny. We played in the ocean for the afternoon, swam in the pools, read our books, played games- you know- the good stuff.
Thursday we headed out early for our Chichen Itza tour to see the ancient Mayan ruins. When we booked this tour we didn't realize it would take the entire day! We left the hotel at 7:15 and didnt get back until 7 or so. It was so fun though. I had already been to these ruins in 9th grade, but it was Bridger's first time seeing anything of the sort. The big bummer is you aren't aloud to climb up anymore- which was sad because I know Bridger was really excited for that. Apparently people have been carving their names in the walls and they don't want people to keep ruining the structure- so climbing is now a no-go. Bummer. Despite the heat (and I mean some serious heat), it's so cool to see the ruins and imagine the people that lived in those times. The Mayans were such an advanced culture and as our tour guide described the reasonings for the placement and design of the structures, I was so amazed about how smart these people were. On our way back we stopped by this sink hole that is pictured below. It was AMAZING!!! We really wanted to jump in and swim, but as you can see from the pictures it was really crowded. That wouldn't have even stopped us- but the thought of riding back on a bus for 3 hours in soaking wet clothes didn't sound very appealing. But man was this thing cool!
These ladies were balancing these bottles of alcohol on their heads and dancing
The sink hole- so many people were waiting to swim!
Friday we just relaxed at our resort the whole time. I started out with a massage early in the morning thanks to Pete and Marianne. We were going to do it out on the beach, but with how windy it was I wanted to actually be able to relax It was incredible- thanks Pete and Marianne! It was sunny and hot again that day- but SO WINDY like I said!!! They wouldn't put the umbrellas out because they would just get knocked over, and the wind created quite the wild waves out on the ocean. We weren't able to swim because of the rip tide- so we hung by the pools the rest of the day. Besides- it wasn't very pleasant getting sand blasted on the beach. Major exfoliation! We were content to stay by the pools drinking yummy drinks and playing games. We stayed out a little too long Friday because we got so sunburned! Even my shins were sunburned- when does that ever happen? That night we headed into town to eat at Bubba Gump. So yummy! We had so many types of shrimp- fried, chilled, stuffed, coconut, etc. I always love that place and the atmosphere there.
Why do these men think they look so good in a speedo?
Bubba Gump! We were burned and feeling it that night.
Saturday we had to leave the hotel around lunch time so we spent the last morning on the beach- despite the wind and exfoliation- and swam one last time in the pool.
All in all, our trip was so fun! We went to Puerto Vallarta for our Honeymoon in 2008 and were comparing our trip there to this one in Cancun. They both had pros and cons, so we're not sure what we would want to go back to. Our hotel in Puerto Vallarta was nicer, and the food was WAY better too- but it was way secluded and quiet, and the water was more gray/brown. In Cancun, the water was BEAUTIFUL, and the hotel was pretty active and quite the happening place. I'm sure you could find places with better food and nicer hotels in Cancun (not to say our hotel wasn't nice- it was! But our neighbors were a little too loud and had quite foul mouths for our taste. We didn't like that we could hear them through the door that connects the two rooms). And i'm sure you could find a place that is more in the middle of the action in Puerto Vallarta as well. But one thing you can't replace in Cancun is the beautiful water. That just can't be beat!
Who knows when our next trip will be- the next while will be full of school and such. But we were sure grateful to my parents for such a fun and much needed vacation.
6 comments:
wow! this looks amazing! and so beautiful!! i can not believe how clear and bright the water was! i love it. i wish we could go! you are so lucky! congrats on graduating! yay! you deserve it. you guys are so cute. i love the pics! miss you guys, we need to get together soon!
britt
we are going july 18-24th.. we are SO excited. if you had to do it all over again would you go to the ruins?
we are going july 18-24th.. we are SO excited. if you had to do it all over again would you go to the ruins?
Looks like so much fun. I love how you did exactly what Jake and I did. We did Puerto Vallarta for our honeymoon, and Cancun after I graduated. And I totally agree with your pros and cons. Jake thought Cancun was a little too Miami-ish, but it is hard to beat that water.
Yes I would go to the ruins if I were to do it again- they are so interesting. Are you taking Brynlee? I'm not sure how well babies would do in the heat and the long day. How fun though that you guys get to go! Let's please please please get together soon!
Grace- I forgot you guys did that! Didn't you guys go to Hawaii too? We'll have to go there next to keep in tradition with you guys :) HA ya right like we'll be going anywhere for a long time.
I am so glad you got to go! you guys deserved it! Hope all is well. We sure miss you guys! Good luck with school! We'll see you at Kinzi's wedding:)
Post a Comment