I've been working on a presentation for class on cleft lip and cleft palate. After looking at picture after picture for literally hours Saturday night, I have such a deep desire to participate in organizations such as Operation Smile to help these little ones.
Seriously- look at these eyes...

How could you not want to help after seeing precious little ones like this girl?
I'm so grateful that I am pursuing a career that will enable me to go on such adventures. Aside from a pretty pay check, dental hygiene will open doors for me to be able to go help the underserved around the world. I've always wanted to do something like that- but after working on this presentation I seriously can't stop thinking about it!
The other day a 17 year old girl came to the clinic for me to clean her teeth. She was so darling. Sadly enough, it was her first time being to the dentist in her entire life. I couldn't believe it! For whatever reasons (lack of money, lack of education, or just flat out not a priority) this girl had never had her teeth cleaned. After completing her assessment, it was decided that she needed to be seen by a more experienced 2nd year. It broke my heart because I just wanted to help her right then and there! I wanted to clean her teeth so her gums could heal and stop bleeding just from brushing her teeth. I wanted to help her feel more confident!
Experiences like that just light the fire inside me that wants to go help wherever I can! Whether overseas in a foreign land or right here in Provo, Utah- there is so much that can be done! Dental Hygiene school has been the hardest thing I've ever done in my entire life- honestly. Nothing else compares to the stress it brings, and nobody can quite understand it until they are in it. Before starting the program all I heard about was how challenging it is- but I didn't get it until I started- and holy moly, I've never been so challenged in my entire life! But once again I'm so happy knowing what my education at UCDH is preparing me to do and the doors that it will open for me and my family to go serve.
Because seriously- just look at those eyes!
1 comment:
ah this is just heartbreaking. im the same way, whenever i see anything like this or hear it, it just makes me want to do all i can to save the pain or help in some way. i love that you will be able to with your career. jacob and i want to with his too.
loves!
britt
Post a Comment