Sunday, February 20, 2011

Waiting for Superman

Last night Bridger and I watched the movie Waiting For Superman.


I've never felt so frustrated, sad, mad and hopeful all in one movie! I had heard about it, and have discussed some of the issues brought up in the movie in previous classes at BYU, but this movie explained the failure of our education system so well. Our schools are failing our kids, and I'm so happy there are some people, even if it is few, that are willing to do something about the injustice going on. They aren't afraid to confront the "system" and bring about change, even though most people aren't even willing to talk about what is going on.

We have to be willing to talk about it. It's the only way to start to change our problems. I am disgusted by the bureaucracy of the school system and how they basically say, "A teacher is a teacher is a teacher." I'm shocked that the system doesn't allow teachers to be paid based on performance, when that is exactly what the rest of the world is judged on. Why shouldn't they be compensated based on how well they do their job? It really makes ZERO sense. And the fact that teachers who are in trouble for anything from repeatable lateness to sexual harassment can't get fired, so we pay millions of dollars to keep them in a room where they read or play cards for 7 hours a day. It makes me absolutely sick! These kids don't deserve it, that's for sure. I fell in love with these kids while watching the movie. Especially this first little guy.


Fortunately there are those good souls willing to combat all this nonsense. Individuals like Geoffrey Canada and Michelle Rhee are taking these issues head on- and I'm SO hopeful that their influence can continue to spread. They are working to give children an education that they deserve. They know that children deserve a chance to move up and onward to brighter futures, so they are trying to do something about it. Knowledge really is power! I know there are teachers out there who are able to educate and inspire. They are the only glimpse of hope we have- and we need more of them!



If you haven't watched this movie- I HIGHLY recommend it! Get ready to be angry though- And yes, I might have cried just a little, or a lot. You'll never know! :)


No comments: