My dad's 50th birthday was yesterday- February 10- and I was very sad I couldn't be with him on his big day! I decided to make him a list of 50 reasons why I love him and sent it to him:
1. Your tube rides- I still to this day don't know why I get on. Maybe just to prove to you I can take your beatings
2. You're an early bird- you don't like wasting the day!
3. Your laugh- it's great, and very contagious. I can hear Grandpa Turnbull in your laugh more and more.
4. The love you show to mom.
5. You work hard- and play hard. Best of both worlds
6. You've always provided for us as a family
7. You're not afraid to quote SNL in your sacrament meeting talk.
8. You are the first to call our family to prayer before anyone leaves on a trip
9. You're interested in the world.
10. You can take it to all the boys in ping pong- or just about anything right?
11. You're growing more sentimental as you grow older (not bigger might I add), even if you don't want to admit it- you are.
12. You're an educated person- always reading up on books, newspapers, tc.
13. You have a favorite child whether you're willing to admit it or not (joke)
14. You bit your pride and danced with me on my wedding day!! I know you don't like to dance, and I don't like to be the center of attention, but we made it through together! And I loved it!
15. Your new renditions of Christmas poems "If i were a butcher, I'd bring him a ham"
16. You're a very active person
17. Even when you're mad, you don't yell. Unless someone talks back to you. Then..Oh boy!
18. Your Christmas cards- they're always a hit!
19. How protective you always were of me- even if I thought it was ridiculous at the time.
20. Your love of the Gospel. You've got a perfect balance. You are immovable in your testimony, yet you don't take some stuff too seriously.
21. You found a way to get fruit into me BESIDES tackling me and shoving grapes into my mouth. You came up with the incredible smoothies- and i still love them!
22. You made us breakfast every morning- not every dad does that you know!
23. You still make fun of my Rock Lobster. I still think that dance should've been illegal in the first place..
24. You've taken us to so many places to help us appreciate the world.
25. Not only are you a hard worker- you're just flat out smart. Apparently being smart gets you places- Go figure.
26. You always give great advice
27. The time you marched me around the kitchen several times for getting into BYU. So funny.
28. How you would lay on my bed and talk to me to wake me up. So annoying- but looking back it makes me laugh!
29. Your Relief Society ladies impression with Bill and Steve
30. You've given me way more than I deserve
31. You're very honest- even if its not what people want to hear.
32. Your clever poems you write for the cousins getting married.
33. You are very witty.
34. Some of the ridiculous things you say make me laugh so hard. Even the other day Kinzie and I were talking about how both you and Bill hate how we hold a pen. "You'll never get a job holding a pen like that!"
35. How you fall asleep in the opening scenes of a movie. I've inherited that from you and it's getting worse and worse with each movie I watch.
36. I have the best memories of Annie Red and I running around our living room table to the song " In The Middle of the Night" and you would pick us up and twirl us around in the air.
37. You've got your corks- your obsessions with how to open a cereal box, how a refrigerator should be organized, etc. It's a hoot!
38. Your daddy tax. You sometimes did take it above and beyond though when you would also take the long anticipated last bite. Ouch.
39. You put on a pretty intimidating face but I know the truth- Deep down you're just a nut!
40. One of my favorite memories with you was building the fort. The boys like to say they helped, but we all know that all they did was put in a few screws.
41. Another favorite memory- going out with you for birthday lunches. I miss those- A lot actually.
42. You're a perfectionist- that has definitely rubbed off on me. You wouldn't believe it but even my room is getting tidy! Not perfect- but wow.
43. You're very handy- always creating something out in the shop- whether it's shelves, bill ball games, whatever. Funniest thing is looking in your consol of your car. Those dividers you've made are hilarious. Only you would do that.
44. I still remember the look on your face the first time I came home to visit from college and surprised you at 5:30 in the morning. Priceless. I was so proud I pulled it off.
45. The opportunities you've given us are much appreciated. The summers on Payette Lake, Italy, China, Hawaii- all memories that won't be forgotten!
46. I love when you have that look on your face when you're proud of me or one of the boys. You can't stop smiling- and I know you take great pride in us!
47. Summer Sunday's just scream Dad's burgers, milkshakes, and baseball out in the yard.
48. Who else eats honey from a spoon?
49. How you always insist you never lied to us about Santa, the Easter Bunny, etc.
50. Because you're MY dad, and that makes you the best of all!



Love you Dad- HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment